Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wow...

Youth Conference is over.... I am feeling very overwhelmed today. I feel so full with happiness that it went so well. I just got home from testimony meeting and WOW. We are in good hands, the youth that will lead the church someday are amazing. They are so strong, they have such a strong understanding of the gospel at such a young age. It blows me away. I am so grateful that my kids have such strong friends and good examples in our stake. It is such a privilege to work with such amazing kids. I am lucky. Yes, it's a lot of work, but so worth it. Sometimes I feel guilty that I have this calling and others are missing out on so many wonderful experiences that I get to have. 
Friday night we had Brandon Doman speak to the kids. He is the quarter-back coach at BYU and a great speaker. He spoke about being Steadfast and Immovable in the gospel.  He told some great stories about his football career and how important it is be "good mormons" and to follow the real "sports stars". He pointed to the posters hanging of all the bishops and stake leaders and told them that they are the ones to follow, not the people who are usually on the sports illustrated covers.

It was great. Then we had a dance and the kids had a good time. I realized that I am getting old, the music was so loud!
Saturday morning things didn't go completely as planned and we had a little stress and drama, but it all worked out. We had invited over 4000 foster families to bring the foster kids to a "Field day" put on by our youth. We only had 2 families respond to our invitation. It was so sad. The committee was very disappointed. But it turned out to be ok. We still met at the school that had a big field and we spent the morning picking up trash around the school and making sack lunches. (we had planned on feeding all the little kids lunch, so we had bread, chips, water, and fruit to make them sandwiches.) So we used all the lunch makings and made lunches and sent a group of kids downtown to feed the homeless. They said it went well. It felt good to do some service. Then we split the kids into 4 groups and played all the field games that we had planned to play with the kids. It was a blast. Many of the kids brought friends, so it was a good missionary opportunity. We got all the leaders out to play with them and the kids enjoyed just playing with each other and their leaders. It was fun for the kids to see the stake president and his counselors out playing kickball with them. The kids got to see that they are fun, great men and they don't live in their suits. We actually had one foster family show up for the field day. The youth saw them walking up and quickly got name tags on the two boys and had them out playing games before the leaders could do anything!!! it was so cool. Then the leaders had a great conversation with the man that brought them, he stayed all day and he was so impressed with the youth. We said he would like to go to church today... i hope he does.
Then last night we had "stadium food" for dinner. Hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, chips and cookies. It didn't sound real healthy to me, but it was sure easy to clean up and the kids planned it and loved it. After dinner we had a talent show and it was great. Some amazing talent in our stake. 
Overall, it was a great experience. I learned a lot from my leaders, both the youth and the adults.  My leaders have been teaching me that we need to let the youth do the leading and we are there to help and advise them. Not take over... that is a hard one. It's so hard to let go and see them make mistakes.  But that is how they learn and become great leaders. I guess that is how we all grow, by learning from our mistakes and learning from others. Sorry, I don't mean to be preaching today, just feeling the spirit and feel like I need to write down my thoughts.








3 comments:

susan bunker said...

I'm so glad you journaled your feelings! It was really a great youth conference. That was my first testimony meeting...ever (at youth conference!) I was very touched. It was like listening to leaders bearing testimony, only these were very YOUNG leaders. I agree with you. We are in very good hands!

suzanne said...

you need to read the book God Wants a Powerful People. it is so encouraging. the basic theme is that God has reserved the most elect for a very serious mission here on earth. whenever i feel afraid, trying to raise children now, with all of the perversions in the world, i just look to our youth because they give me so much hope. steve called me about 7 times from the talent show to have me listen to all the performances, he had a great time.

The Lords said...

What a fun weekend! I am so glad that I was able to be to a few of the events. I loved Brother Damon's talk and I thought the talent show was really well done. Way better than I thought it was going to be. Brock had a blast and both he and Nick came away feeling lifted and blessed after the testimony meeting. You are a wonderful, inspired leader, teacher and friend.