Friday, September 14, 2007

Tanner's butterfinger moment


Well, it's been a rough 3 weeks of school for Tanner and the rest of our family. Rough for Tanner because he wants to be in a different class with his best friend Jaden. Rough for us because when Tanner isn’t happy – no one is happy! He has been very negative about his teacher and kids in his class in hopes that we would switch teachers. We have tried our best to be tough and tell him that he can't switch and he needs to deal with it and make the best of the situation….but after 2 weeks of an angry Tanner we called the principal and asked him what we should do. He said we’d have to wait a while before he could decide because he had to look at the numbers in all the classes. So we have been giving Tanner talks about making new friends and looking for positive things about his teacher and it hasn’t worked. He comes home everyday angry and negative about his teacher and kids in his class. I was working out with a friend yesterday who was telling me that she gives her girls 6 M&M’s (one of each color) after they practice the piano and I had an AHA moment! BRIBERY! I ran to Target and bought 20 Butterfinger bars and told him if he can tell me 5 things he likes about his teacher or classmates everyday after school he gets a Butterfinger! Day 1 worked. He was happy when he got home and rattled off 5 things! Cross your fingers that it will work for a while, because I was about to give our cute little Tanner away!

2 comments:

susan bunker said...

Oh Allison - I hope it is still working. Great idea. I think bribery is wonderful if it helps in any way! Good luck!

Edie and Luke said...

I see that it's a small size Butterfinger...I think the King Size would work much better!

P.S. You should post this on our family web-site- it's really cute!

Edie