Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A few random things....

While I was in Utah, I got scans of all of my Grandma Verhaaren's old pictures.... they are so COOL! Here are a few of them. This first one was taken at a picnic in South Africa where my Great Grandmother is from. She is the one in the middle without a hat on. It was taken in about 1913.
This next one is my Great Great Grandparents wedding in South Africa in about 1885!
I think this one is my Great Great Grandparents in South Africa in the late 1800's. I was so excited about getting these scans. Thanks Julie & Cindy for doing all the scanning!

I learned how to make these really cool chocolate covered marshmallow eggs at an enrichment activity. They were so yummy that I came home and made more with Ashley. Would you believe that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product!!! Crazy. I will post the recipe at easter time next year!
The night before I left for Seattle, John won tickets on to see the band Chicago at the MGM. It was amazing concert! Things are always better when they are free....

Here are a few photo's from my Seattle trip....
I got a little teary eyed flying over Mt. Rainier. Oh how I miss the mountains and tree's and lakes. It was breathtaking!  It was a little cloudy out, but I could still see Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams all in a row. Seattle will always have a special place in my heart!! I had to remind myself that I love my family, home and friends in vegas when it was time to go home! otherwise I would have stayed.
Dad, my brother David and his daughter Tiffany picked up Scott and I at the airport and we headed straight to Dick's. This is the "boys" favorite place to eat in Seattle. Nothing like a good greasy burger! 
Saturday night we went to my favorite teriyaki restaurant. So good! We need a good in Vegas! 
2 nights in a row we played some serious hearts! Fun times!



Happy Birthday Johnny! It was my Brother John's birthday on March 24th. He died almost 11 years ago. So I think he would have been 36. It was nice to be together as a family on his birthday. We tried to get out to the cemetery to put flowers on his grave, but we couldn't fit it in. But, we did take a picture in front of the Johnny tree at the Seattle Temple. (when he died, some friends of our family gave my parents a little tree for us to plant in his memory and we got permission to plant on the grounds of the Seattle temple.) So we took a family picture in front of it. (Dad, I'm still waiting to get your pictures) I will post it when I get it. Here is a picture of Johnny as a baby. I'm sure he loved being in my pink doll seat!

Now I am home and my cousin Craig is here with his wife Mauri and 4 kids. Mauri was one of my high school friends and college roommates and she married on of my favorite cousins! So we've had a fun few days. Our kids all get along and have a great time together! We had the Taylor's over last night for dinner because Rene'e, Mauri and I were all high school friends and roommates. It's so weird that we are all in our 40's now with kids that are almost in college!! Freaky...

The kids have had a great time swimming!

3 comments:

Toby and Tammy said...

CHICAGO?!?!? I LOVE them! Remember we would listen to them in your car going on YW outings? What a fun concert, I bet they did a great job.
Cute photos of the fam. I can't believe it's warm enough to go swimming. We are still cold here in Boise!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Alison, I feel the same way about Mt Rainer. We could see it from our kitchen window. I wish there was some way to move Vegas closer to the Northwest. Then we could have the best of both worlds.

Grama Linda said...

Allison,
I love all the pictures and updates. The kids look like they've had a great time with all the cousins. I have only ever been to Seattle once, but it is probably one of my very favorite places ever! It is very cool that you were able to grow up there...