Tuesday, March 25, 2008

How much is my time worth???

Have you ever made a decision thinking you were being smart, saving money and it turns around and backfires on you? Well, that’s been my day today. It actually started early last night…. I called the airlines to see if I could catch an earlier flight home and they said I could fly standby, but it would cost $25. So, being the money conscious person that I am, feeling that I had spent enough money this weekend, decided I should wait to fly out at 11:00am and go home via San Francisco and get home at 4:30 as planned. (the earlier flight was a direct flight at 8am and I would have been home by 10:30) Everything went smooth in Seattle… got through security fast, had enough time to grab a snack for the flight and got on the plane and landed in San Fran on time. I get off the plane to see that my flight that was supposed to leave at 2:50 is now leaving at 4:00…. I was a little upset, knowing that I have a camp meeting tonight at 6:00 that I was planning to go to and I would be pushing it. So I walk around a bit and did some people watching and got back to my gate to find out that it is now leaving at 4:30… hmmm now I am going to miss my camp meeting. Dang it. I really wanted to go to the first meeting to visit with all of our newly called level directors. But I know that they are in good hands with my camp director and I was really just going for moral support. Back to my story, the little man behind the counter asks if anyone wants to wait for the 5:29 flight and get a free United ticket for sacrificing an hour of their time. I decide that an hour of my time would be worth a free ticket…. The kids would survive one more hour without me? Right?? I call John (who left for Atlanta this morning) to tell him that I just got us a free ticket and thought he would be excited… (Especially since I just spent a lot of miles to go to the funeral in Seattle) then he reminded me it was Mutual tonight and what would Tanner do? Oops. I made a few calls and got something figured out for him. Thanks Abby! Then I got some dinner and ate it too fast and ate too much (nothing new), so now I have heartburn and feel like a whale. Once again I get back to my gate to find out that the 5:29 flight is now leaving at 7:10!!!! Ugh!!! I was so mad!! I went up to the counter and complained (the whole time thinking about the RS lesson in my sisters ward Sunday that was on controlling your anger, so needless to say, I was too nice and they did nothing for me) I would not have given up my seat for a free ticket to get home this late…… so now I am sitting here in the airport contemplating my day… I think 10+ hours of my time would have been worth the $25 dollars that I chose not to spend on the flight that left this morning. And I have now spent $5 for my snack in Seattle, $10 for dinner and $4 on candy and water, the car that John left at the airport when he left this morning is adding up by the hour, so it looks like I should have spent the $25 this morning and I could have been home hours ago and spent less money. But, trying to be positive I will look on the bright side and think about somewhere fun to go with my free ticket! I am now rambling,... (I do that when I am bored) I will post this when I get home, since I am too cheap to pay for the airports wireless internet : ) and hopefully I will have nothing more to add when I get home!

Edited at 7:38 Notice the time, my flight was supposed to leave at 7:10… I am on the plane and they just announced that there is a flat tire and they have to change it…. So another 45 minutes they say! I might get home tonight??

10:47pm…. Just climbed in bed… It took me 12 1/2 to get home today. I left my sisters house at 10:00am…. Long day… good night

5 comments:

Toby and Tammy said...

Crazy! Hope you go somewhere fun with that free ticket!

suzanne said...

yeah, that doesn't sound fun. glad you're home safe.

Grama Linda said...

Oh WOW! That is not fun at all! So glad you are home. You really have to go someplace great with that free ticket... I guess 12 hours of your time doesn't quite make it free!

Anonymous said...

Bummer! Next time I will talk you into spending the extra money to get where you want quick. I bet John was not happy. sorry John! I loved having her here with us! It was such a good feeling being together again as our Westra family, even though I kept looking for the two that were missing. I think they were with us sometimes, watching and enjoying our family jokes.

I feel like I might want to have a blog some day. Who knows. I got up an hour early today. I have an early morning meeting that I am speaking at. So instead of 5:50am I got up at 4:30am. I did not get to sleep till around midnight. I feel kind of sick now. I hate it when I do this.

Ok................Hugs to the kids! Love ya- Julie

Toby and Tammy said...

did you know my mom has a blog?? She's linked on mine so check her out. :)