Sunday, March 23, 2008

Aunt Dorothy

I was waiting to write this post until I found a picture to go with it, but decided I better hurry and write it without it. One of my favorite Aunt's died on Wednesday... I am so sad. It was totally unexpected. My sweet Aunt Dorothy was serving on jury duty in downtown Seattle on Tuesday and she was on a break and took a walk outside and had what they call a "brain bleed".  She had been taking a lot of  asprin to thin her blood because of her arthritis, and I guess her blood was too thin. They say that the brain will bleed from time to time, but because her blood was so thin, it couldn't clot. So she collapsed and was rushed to the hospital and she was brain dead by the time they got there. She was 75. Technically she isn't my Aunt, but we always called her one. She is my dad's cousins wife. She was my mom's best friend and our families were very close. Her daughter Krisse was right between Julie and I in age and we were the best of "cousin" friends growing up. Slumber parties at their house and many many days swimming at their house. Dorothy was one of the kindest, sweetest people you could ever meet. She always made you feel so important and special. I have so many wonderful memories of her. She will be missed. The last time I saw her was about 2 1/2 years ago when I was in Seattle for my class reunion and I went to the temple while I was here and she was there! It was a great experience to sit by her at the temple that day. A memory I will cherish.

So, I flew to Seattle with Scott yesterday for the funeral on Monday. All of my sibling will be here for the funeral! So fun. It's been 4 years since all my brothers and sisters have been together. My parents were able to sneak away from their mission for a few days... sh... don't tell anyone! Mark gets here tonight and everyone else got here yesterday. We had so much fun together yesterday. We went to the boys favorite hamburger joint downtown called "Dicks" and had greasy hamburgers. Yum! Then we had great teriyaki for dinner and went to visit my Aunt Doreen. After we got back we played a killer game of Hearts! That's our family game.... it's a sad occasion, but so fun to see all my family. I love them!

Happy Easter! I feel so bad that I am away from my kids and husband today! I miss them! 

I will write more late.... got to go eat Easter dinner!


3 comments:

Grama Linda said...

I am so sorry about your Aunt Dorothy... but happy that you get to spend time with your family. Isn't it amazing that "Families Can Be Together Forever" is really for real... I have been thinking a lot about that, especially today. I got a great big hug from Tanner at church today! I love that kid!
Hope you enjoy your time in Seattle spending some time with those you love.
We Love You!
Linda

Toby and Tammy said...

How sad to lose someone you love. So grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that we have.
Glad you were able to visit your family, that's always a plus!

suzanne said...

i just spent the weekend with all of my siblings too. there is just something special about brothers and sisters... they just make you so happy, especially when you're all grown up. i'm sorry to hear about your aunt, it's especially sad when you don't see it coming.