Wednesday, December 10, 2008

lucky me...

I know I have written about this before, but I absolutely love my calling. I get to know so many amazing young women in our stake. It is the season for the Young Women in Excellence programs. For those of you not familiar with this, it is a program that celebrates all the value projects and and value experiences that the girls have worked on all year in the personal progress program. I was able to go to 4 of the 6 wards this year.... I would have gone to all of them but they were on the same night and I couldn't be in two places at one time. Anyway, I love these programs because you see and hear what the girls have been up to. These girls are so talented! Each ward does something a little different, they all did a great job. I couldn't fall asleep last night because I went to the Palmhurst wards program last night and the girls were so amazing. I couldn't stop thinking about them. (this happens with all the wards, but this one is fresh in my mind, so I am going to talk about it) Palmhurst ward is on of our smaller wards, they don't have a ton of girls, so they were able to let each girl get up and either explain some of the things they had done or some of them performed for us. A few girls sang and did amazing jobs. One little beehive was so dang cute, she melted my heart. I want to have her sing at one of our stake events or at camp next year. That's why I couldn't sleep, I was trying to figure out when I could have her sing, and then my mind went to camp and I was all of a sudden overwhelmed. Camp makes my head spin. Oh no, here it goes again, constant thoughts and questions, how are we going to make it as good as last year? who will our level leaders be, who in the world can we get to be our cooks this year and on and on....it never ends! Back to last night, one of the girls talked about how she started a blog as a project. She brought a computer and showed it to everyone. I came right home and read up on her life. She is hilarious, check it out, her link is on the right, her name is Alex. But if you think about it, blogging is so cool, it is a life history, it connects you with friends and builds friendships. I feel so connected to my ladies in the ward who blog! It's so cool. She made me think about how I blog and i realized I need to write more feelings and not just a travelog! Then a girl played the flute, it was great. There was a group of girls who sang together, some girls talked about their favorite scriptures, one girl read a beautiful poem that she wrote. I want a copy of it! Alex, can you get that for me? The a girl did a polynesian dance. She was so nervous, it was cute. Anyway, I could talk all day about the girls in our stake... Lucky me! I get to go enjoy all these programs. Thanks to all the wonderful YW leaders in my stake!

Just a side note, since I have been talking YW's. DId you know there is a new value being added to the YW theme? It is Virtue. So cool. You can read about it here.

6 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

How cool is that? I did not know about the new value. Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

You are lucky, Stake callings are the best. Lots of fun and work but not as much of the day to day stress.

Alex Lupton said...

I can totally get you that poem, if I remember?

Carrie said...

You do have a great calling. What a great perspective to see all the different wards and what the girls are doing! You are also helping to inspire me to start a blog. Maybe after Christmas....... :)

P.S. Don't worry about camp yet!!!

email and phone numbers said...

I'm so happy for the good feelings you have about the YW in our stake... these girls are so addicting! I got to accompany the priest/laurels last night at a caroling activity & it felt so like home for me. But mostly I was just in awe at how great these kids are - of all the things they could have been doing last night, they chose to sing for a bunch of old people that they didnt even know!! They are pretty amazing to me! So anyway, I understand your enthusiam (with everything except girls camp ;(...good luck with that!)

susan bunker said...

loved this post! loved the feelings i felt reading it! you are doing a great job, our stake is very lucky!

Sarchet Family said...

The youth are great! I feel lucky also that i get to work with them! What a great calling. You are a great leader for all the girls. Good job! Love ya!