Tuesday, June 9, 2009

4th year hike

Friday morning I headed up to Utah with the 4th year girls in our stake for our annual pre-camp hike... We went to the Thorley's property again up above Kolob Reservoir which is above Zion National Park. It is so beautiful! We got there and had lunch and then headed out on our hike. We were worried it might rain so we made sure everyone had poncho's before we left... I guess we should have made sure everyone had warm jackets instead! We were all cold when we got there... then the clouds went away and it made it even colder as the sun set! I think I will be able to use this hike in a talk on preparedness someday!

The hike itself was amazing! We had a fun group of girls and leaders! They were all really good hikers this year. We rarely had to wait for anyone to catch up. The wild flowers were out and it was SO BEAUTIFUL!!! The whole hillside was covered in yellow flowers with a few purple and blues ones tossed in. It was breathtaking! None of the pictures do it justice.

The girls and leaders! At one of the beautiful look-outs over all of Zion...


A fun little pond along the way...

The flowers!


We made it the end and we set up camp... we all hiked in our own tents, sleeping bags and food! I wish I would have weighed my pack! It was heavy! We cooked dinner, watched the sun set and had a nice little fireside with the girls. Ciji and President Worthen did a great job talking with the girls about our camp theme this year which is "Daughter of a King." After the fireside most of the girls headed to bed... and the leaders stayed up and told embarrassing moments... for some reason I had the most to share! We didn't have any marshmallows or Starbursts to roast so we gave gummy bears a try... they were quite tasty!! Soft and warm, they melted in your mouth!!

I thought I had a really good sleeping bag... I guess not! I was freezing all night! I'm not sure if I ever fell asleep. I don't think I have ever been that cold camping in all of my life. I didn't have a good hat to wear or good pj's! my fault I know. I will definitely go more prepared to camp. As i was laying there freezing, I remembered that it was my dad's 75th birthday and I forgot to call him! I felt so bad! And then I remembered that my sister in law Sharolyn was being induced that day and I was dyeing to know how things went!  I had to wait till our drive home to make my calls and see how things went. I was happy to hear that mom and baby Justin were doing just great! I am so happy for my brother Todd and his family! This is their 5th child!

Here is my favorite picture of baby Justin and Grandpa who will now share the same birthday!


Sharolyn and all the kids! I love this picture!!

Cute daddy and baby!



6 comments:

Lisa and Bill said...

What a great post! Makes me even more excited for girls camp! I am going to pack warm for sure! It looked beautiful up there & I'm glad you didn't have to wait on any slowpokes. Glad I stayed home!

Kathy's Boys said...

The look looked awesome. I love Ciji, I'm sure she was great. And how cool that your Dad and the baby share the same birthday. Thanks for coming to the shower...you are always so good to support everyone.

Kathy's Boys said...

Whoa, I better read my own writing...anyways, the HIKE looked awesome!!

Carrie said...

That looks so beautiful, I bet it was worth it just to see those sights in person. That is too bad you were so cold. That is definitely a miserable experience and makes for a long night. You are definitely a trooper!

suzanne said...

looks like a beautiful hike! a lot prettier than the peak!!

email and phone numbers said...

glad you survived ANOTHER 4th year hike... you are definately going straight to heaven!