Sunday, May 8, 2011

BYU-H Reunion

In the fall of 1985 I went to BYU-Hawaii with my good friend Suzanne. Suzanne and I grew up together, our families went camping together, we were in the same ward until we were 12, we went to high school together and eventually became roommates at college. We had a blast at BYU-Hawaii. I still remember the night we decided to go there. We were both accepted to BYU Provo and it didn't feel right. Suzanne came over late one night, I snuck out my window (sorry mom and dad... It didn't happen very often) and we went to Denny's and talked. We felt like we wanted more of an adventure and decided on Hawaii. I remember going to school the next day and no one believed us that we were really going to go to Hawaii. But we did! We made some great friends there. One of them was a girl named Alison who was from Vancouver BC. We hit it off immediately. We called her Allie and me Allison. We stayed close friends for years and roommates in Provo. And sadly after we all got married we didn't keep in touch as much.

Suzanne and I hadn't heard from Allie in a few years so we found her a few months ago and found out that life had thrown her some hard curve balls and she needed some cheering up. We planned a girls weekend to go see her in Vancouver and then Suzanne found out that "Time out for Women" was going to be in Seattle last weekend, so we met there instead. We had a great weekend together and reminisced about old times in Hawaii and Provo.

The day we got there we did some shopping. We went to this really cute set of shops up in Everett.


When we got back to Suzanne's we found this...

Our good friend Mimi was going to join us and at the last minute she couldn't come, so she sent us this... it was delicious!


The three of us took this picture at Pike Place Market in Seattle in 1987 (i think)
We thought it would be fun to take another one.

The new one...


Lunch at a little greek restaurant...

Walking around Pike Place Market... so fun!


We spent Friday evening and all day Saturday downtown Seattle at the Benaroya Hall for "Time Out for Women." There were some great speakers this year. John Bytheway, Miriama Kallon, Michael McLean spoke Friday night. I loved them all.
This is all the Speakers on Saturday. They were good too. I can't remember all their names...


I saw this teriyaki place on Friday night and knew that was what I wanted for lunch on Saturday... I thought about it all morning. Not sure I got much out of the morning speakers because I was so excited for good Seattle teriyaki. It wasn't as good as Teriyaki Madness in Kirkland... but it was definitely better than what we have here in Vegas.


We sat at this park looking over the waterfront and ate our lunch. It was a beautiful day! It was hard to go back into the conference. I wanted to go wander the streets of Seattle and walk down to the water... Oh well, next trip!


People laugh when I tell them that my high school mascot was a totem pole (the Sammamish Totems.) But they are part of the history in Seattle. So cool.





After the conference we went over to Bellevue (my actual home town) and had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with our good friend and my cousin in law Mauri. (she married my first cousin and she was a good friend through high school and college... I love that we stay in touch so good because we are related now!)


We ordered all appetizers and shared them... yum!

(It looks like the people outside are sitting with us)

There were 6 of us that roomed together in Provo and they called us "The Brunettes."


We obviously liked the cheesecake!

I am so glad I was able to go up there and visit my old friends! Hopefully it won't be another 20 years to get together again.

5 comments:

Ashley Marx said...

cute. i'm glad you had fun! you deserved a break :)

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

Allison, this is great! I love that you shared our story. I too hope that it won't be another 20 years before we can do this again. Thanks again for coming up.
Love you!!

Mauri Moo said...

It was so fun to see Allie and Suzanne and you again! Let's not let it be so long next time! :) Love you all.

Grama Linda said...

It looks like you had a blast. How fun!