Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Girls Weekend

I just read my friend Susan's blog and she is trying to post every day in May. I think I will join her!

Last weekend I drove up to Utah with my good friend Keri to go to Women's Conference with my sister Cindy. I can't believe I didn't take a picture with Keri in the car! Dang! We had a nice drive up and down. Caught up on our families, tried to solve all the problems in the world and at some good food and candy! Keri met up with her mom and sisters and spent the weekend with them.

I met up with Ashley when I got to Orem. We went to our favorite dinner place, Zupas! It was delicious! Scotty and my mom joined us. It was great. Another picture missed! dang.

Thursday morning Cindy and I got up real early and headed to BYU. We didn't want to get stuck in traffic! We found the perfect parking place both days!


It is pretty amazing to be in the Marriott center with 13,000 women! The spirit is strong and I always learn so much! We heard amazing speakers over the 2 days and my bucket was filled!


I bought a painting by Liz Swindle. I Love it! She was there and signed it for me. She was on the phone the entire time, but oh well, she signed it!


 We were walking through the bookstore and saw Sister Dibb. (President Monson's daughter) Ashley told me not to ask for a picture, but I couldn't resist! I feel bad that it isn't a great picture of her, but Oh well, it's the only one I got. We chatted for a few minutes. She is a sweet lady!

We met up with Ashley each day for lunch. She works on campus, so we got to meet her co-workers. It was great to see her! I miss my girl!! Next year I will make her take the days off so she can go to classes with me.



Cindy and I ready for the next speaker...
 On Thursday night Deseret Book always sponsors a concert with church singers. This one was Amazing!! Hillary Weeks hosted it and I just LOVE her! Read her blog post here to read about it. I never expected to feel the spirit at a concert the way I did. It was a very spiritual experience for me. I love the Relief Society!!! They were able to portray the way the women served back in the early days of the church and then how we do it now. The music was wonderful and I enjoyed every minute of it. My favorite singer was Dallyn Vail Bales. if you haven't heard him sing, check out his website here. I could listen to him all day!!


Alex Boye singing
 You can't go to BYU without getting some BYU Creamery ice cream!!! This may or may not have been my dinner Thursday night!


The best part of the conference was listening to an Apostle of the Lord speak. Elder Anderson and his wife spoke at the closing session. He was amazing!! SO powerful.  I had several confirmations in my heart that he truly is an Apostle and what he was saying was true!I loved hearing him speak. He is a new favorite!

He was so kind at the end. He went into the crowd and shook hundreds of hands! I have never seen a General Authority do that. We were so close to him and we should have gone down 2 rows to shake his hand, but we thought he was headed for the exit next to us. But instead of leaving, he kept walking around the floor of the Marriott Center! It was so fun to watch him.


I love Women's Conference!! It is so inspiring! I wish both my sisters, my mom and all my sisters in laws could have been there! Next year!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Alison, Great post. I haven't managed to post yet, just put a few pictures on facebook. Maybe tomorrow since I don't have to work. It is crazy how we both ran into Sister Dibb.

I loved loved the concert also. Some years I feel too tired and would rather be home visiting, but this year had to be one of the best concerts ever. So amazing. I had to buy Dallen Vail Bayles music CD, the one with Bring Him Home on it. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

Remember we are having a huge sample sale on May 18th and 19th. Cheryl from Sullivan's has gotten 16 different companies to participate. Tell all your friends it should be awesome. We were down there today, but we are going to be busy for the next few weeks so we won't be back until the sale.

susan bunker said...

I'm so glad you are joining me! It was wonderfully fun to read about your weekend at Women's Conference and to see the pictures you took. Hillary Weeks has such a cute personality. I love Elder Anderson. He was here about a year ago and he is a sweetheart! Can't wait to keep reading!