Saturday, April 12, 2008

3 Tickets in 1 day!

This is John. You know, Allison and I are pretty safe drivers. We're not very ticket prone. But today, Allison and I got 3 of them--all in 1 day! It started this morning around 7:30 as I was riding by bike, going for what I had hoped was a long bike ride. About 1 mile into my ride I was approaching an intersection. I slowed down but did not fully stop at the stop sign. I saw a lady in a car pulling up to the intersection as I was entering it. If she stopped, she stopped quickly and started even quicker. She hit me and knocked me off my bike, sending me flying about 10 feet into the other lane of traffic. It took the wind out of me, cut my knee, arm, hand and bruised my shoulder. I laid on the ground in pain. A doctor stopped at the site and told me to stay in that spot. He called Fire Dept. paramedics, an ambulance and the police. They also called Allison.

The paramedics cleaned me up and I was feeling better. I canceled the ambulance because I didn't feel like I had broken anything. The police came and decided I was at fault because I admitted that I only slowed down at the intersection and did not stop completely. I don't think the lady who hit me admitted to a rolling stop or she would have been cited. So I got a ticket for hitting a car with my bike. Really. The scratch on her car was nothing compared to my messed up bike and body. Aren't cars supposed to yield for pedestrians on foot or on bike? That's how I always drive.

What made it worse (for Allison, not for me) was that she forgot her camera, so she couldn't get a photo for her blog. I could have been badly hurt, but the only pain Allison had was that she wished she had her camera.

Allison has never had a ticket. In 24+ years of driving, she's had 0 tickets. None. Perfect record. Until today.... Ticket Day!

This afternoon, Allison was driving up Westcliff Dr. and thought the speed limit was 45, when it was really 35. She says my car makes her go faster. Hmmm. She was trying to call me in the process. The cop clocked her at 49 in a 35 and gave her one ticket for speeding and another for talking on her cell phone while speeding. Really. He was the type of cop that did not give her a chance to defend herself--just wrote out the ticket and handed it to her. Westcliff Dr. is wide enough to be a 6 lane highway. The wider a road is the faster most cars go.

What a memorable day this was. We felt like victims of wide roads and unwise cops. We may need to cancel our kids' college funds to pay for these 3 tickets. Anyone know a good lawyer?

JB

6 comments:

Janae' said...

OH John....Please tell me you weren't wearing those crazy weird bike shorts....teehee...I think anyone other than Brad Pitt should get "fashion tickets" for wearing those!
I'm so glad you weren't hurt too bad...You might be sore tomorrow!

Sorry about the tickets...it does make for a great story though!

janae'

suzanne said...

What a crazy day. I hate tickets. There is nothing worse. I always feel violated when I get one and every time I drive passed the area where I was pulled over all those crappy feeling return.
Anyway, John sorry about the spill. Look at the bright side, at least you didn't leave any teeth in the asphalt. By the way, who cares about you, how is the bike? That would really be a shame if you broke your new rocket.

-Steve Robertson

Toby and Tammy said...

Sooo funny! I can't believe you get get hit by a car and then get a ticket for it! Glad there were no broken bones or any hospital trips.
3 tickets in one day is quite impressive..... :)

Carrie said...

I know a good lawyer! :)

Grama Linda said...

Oh my goodness! Three tickets... what a terrible very bad no good rotten day! I am so sorry, but just think, you've gotten all of your tickets out of the way for a very long time...
Glad to see you were at church today John and that you weren't hurt too badly. This is definitely a story to save and share with the grandkids someday!

Linda

Debbie said...

When it rains it pours! This is so funny it probably helps you guys laugh instead of cry. You two have been married so long you share everything - even run-ins with the law!