Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dream come true!!!!!



Saturday was a very exciting day for me! One of my dreams came true... I got to go to a taping of the Oprah show. She was in Las Vegas filming a show that will air on May 8th, with Cher and Tina Turner. Cher just started a show in Vegas, so Oprah interviewed her about her new show and they performed one of the numbers from her new show. So just how did I get the ticket?? John got a call from his add rep from channel 8 a week ago and she invited him to the show. They invited their top 5 advertisers during the Oprah show hour, and Sunburst Shutters is in the top 5. They said he was the only one that could go, since he buys the adds and he couldn't give it to anyone! They were very strict about it. John called them everyday begging and pleading with them to let me go instead. They wouldn't budge until all of the other top advertisers said they didn't really want to go, but their wives were dyeing to go. So they got special permission from the Harpo people to switch the tickets. 

I was a little nervous to go all by myself, but knew I would survive! I was invited to a brunch before with all the add people and a bunch of channel 8 people. I sat across from the lady who does the morning news. She was very nice, I can't remember her name at the moment. She was very excited because she was going to be interviewing Oprah after the show! Only she and Entertainment tonight were given permission to interview her. After the brunch we headed over to the show at the coliseum in Caesars Palace. We were told over and over not to bring camera's or cell phones. It was a bummer... oh well. they let us in at 12:30 and the show didn't start until 2:00. I was so excited!! 

Oprah was great! She talked with the audience during commercial breaks. She told us all about her interview the day before at Tom Cruise's place in Colorado the day before. She joked about her cleansing diet she just finished, it was pretty funny. I can't say I'm a huge Cher and Tina fan, but they were great. After seeing the one scene from Cher's new show, I am actually interested in going to it. It looks like a lot of fun. It was interesting to watch Oprah with her staff and the audience during the breaks. One of her eyelashes was falling off, so her makeup people had to come out and fix it and it was funny to watch. Tina and Cher said a few things that Oprah didn't like, so during a break, Oprah said "the beauty of television is that I can tell them to cut out those comments and no one will ever see it on tv." Tina had said something about Oprah being a different person while she was in Switzerland visiting her. I didn't think it was bad, but I guess she didn't like it. It will be interesting to see what they cut out. 

I'd still love to meet her up close and have a conversation with her, but this was pretty close! So watch Oprah on May 8th. Our seats were about 20 rows back in the center. It was great. A day that I will always remember!!

to top the day off, John and I went to our favorite restaurant in town called China grill in Mandalay Bay and then we went to the Goo Goo Dolls concert. It was a lot of fun. But, we realized we are getting old because the concert didn't start until 9:00 and there were two warm up bands... so it didn't get over until after midnight. Were very sleepy by the end! 


3 comments:

Toby and Tammy said...

What an exciting weekend! How fun to go to the Oprah show.
I love the Goo Goo Dolls! Concerts are so fun to go to.

susan bunker said...

allison- what can i say? i bet you could hardly stand the excitement you felt! and now i think i need to see cher?! i'm glad you had such a great weekend. two in a row...different, but both GREAT!

Kathy's Boys said...

That would be so fun to see Oprah!
I know you guys went to see Ellen
too! (not quite the same as Oprah)
We went to Dr. Phil a couple of times and had a blast. We should get a bunch of us
and go again. I love doing stuff like that! The Dr. Phil tickets are pretty easy to get.