Monday, April 21, 2008

great weekend!

This weekend was so wonderful. (especially compared to last!) I enjoyed our Stake Conference so much! Saturday night session was all about the importance of family dinner time, family home evening and going to the temple. The stake presidency made these fun home movies that showed how difficult it is to do these things. We saw how hard it is to set aside time for these things and how our lives are way too busy. Then on Sunday the talks were on "how we bring the gospel into our homes". All of the talks were great and made me really think about our home and how we can improve things. Keri had to talk and she did an amazing job! Yah Keri! 

President Schlauder asked us to look at our lives and figure out what our "distractions" were and to really work hard for the next two weeks to remove them from our homes and lives. We had a great talk with the kids after lunch yesterday and talked about our schedules and our distractions and made a game plan to simplify our lives and get the important things done. We do a pretty good job at having family dinners, but we can improve. We made a dinner calendar for the next 3 weeks! That will help me tons. I hate deciding what to have for dinner every night. And we made a family home evening lesson schedule for the next 2 months. So those should be better too. 

We decided that the kids needed to limit their time on "Guitar Hero"... personally I would like to hide it for a month! We will see how they do. I am so tired of the loud music! We also talked about playing more games as a family and things like that. Me personally....I decided that my laptop can be a distraction for me. Hard to admit, but I do have some addiction problems with it. I say I am going to sit down to send some emails for YW's and I end up reading blogs for an hour and fiddling around on web sites and none of my YW stuff gets done. So, I have decided I need to limit my time on my computer... so you might not see as many blog posts and comments from me. I don't want to give it up completely, because I know I need time for me, but I just need to manage my time a little better. I have been ignoring house work and other things for quite some time now. Tanner wrote his name in the dust on my lamp the other day! A good sign that dusting isn't getting done!

I know our family and home will be blessed if we work harder to have family dinners, FHE and temple attendance! Thank you to a wonderful stake presidency for reminding us of the blessings that we need! 

4 comments:

Kathy's Boys said...

Your family has always been a great example to
me. You are all awesome. Especially Tanner!! ( I
still miss my Primary class!) I felt the same way about conference. I'm sure the Stake Presidency was definately inspired about the topics! We sure needed to regroup and refocus! And I know what you mean about looking at blogs. It is addicting and fun, and I can't believe how fast the time goes by when I'm on the computer. Brad thinks it's so funny that we all get on there and tell about our lives! Oh well, I wouldn't be communicating with a lot of these people very often if it wasn't for blogging! Have a great day!

suzanne said...

amen sister! blogging does take a lot of time, but i would way rather spend an hour reading uplifting, motivating, funny things about people that i love than watch an hour of pointless television (american idol SO not included). my rule is everything in moderation. :)

susan bunker said...

allison...i totally looked at sadie and said, "i know, i know. the blogs." i did commit to not wasting quite so much time on my computer too. it was great to re-commit with the kids as our partners. i just want to stick with it :)! the only up-side is, i totally feel like i am keeping a photo journal, and i know that is a GOOD thing! have a great day!

Debbie said...

Allison, some great thoughts on family. I still remember the Barnes family deciding to have a "Perfect Day" one year as a gift for Christmas. (You must have shared it in a talk.) You guys are a great example of all things good. Love you, Debbie